I am feeling significantly better than I have in the last week or two. In light of that, and the holidays and all, I want to post a memeish thing I ganked from my beloved tafkar. It's a way to spread the holiday cheer, and possibly turn something that you don't need or aren't interested in into another person's December joy. I have taken the liberty of modifying it just a little.
Make a post (public, friendslocked, filtered...whatever you're comfortable with) to your LJ. The post should contain your list of holiday wishes (10 is the suggested number, but you can do more or less as you like). The wishes can be anything at all, from simple ("I'd love a Mal/Inara icon that's just for me") to medium ("I wish for _____ on DVD") to really big ("All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV.") The important thing is, make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
If you wish for real life things (not virtual stuff like stories or icons), make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it's your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) could get in touch with you. Also, make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your LJ, or link to this post (it'll be public) so that the holiday joy will spread.
Surf around your friendslist (or friendsfriends, or just random journals) to see who has posted their list. And now here's the important part:
If you see a wish you can grant, and it's in your heart to do so, make someone's wish come true. Sometimes someone's trash is another's treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don't want or a gift certificate you won't use--or even know where you could get someone's dream purebred Basset Hound for free--do it.
You needn't spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn't to put people out, it's to provide everyone a chance to be someone else's holiday elf--to spread the joy. Gifts can be made anonymously or not--it's your call.
There are no rules with this project, no guarantees, and no strings attached. Just...wish, and it might come true. Give, and you might receive. And you'll have the joy of knowing you made someone's holiday special.
So, here's my wish list:
1. A massage or bodywork related icon. I keep trying to come up with one, and I can't ever make it look good.
2. Recommendations for happy stories. Fanfic in fandoms I like are great, but I mean any kind of stories. True stories or fiction. Holiday related or not. Just happy, uplifting things. Here's an example of something like that.
3. Vegetarian or ethnic cookbooks, used or new. Even ones with lots of meat recipes are fine, because I've gotten pretty good at substituting tofu and Quorn and various things.
4. A long, newsy letter. Or a postcard. Or anything at all in the mail: 6923 Arlington Blvd. Falls Church, VA 22042
5. Black, long-sleeved shirts, extra large. Cotton or knit, button-down, pullover, anything. Just long-sleeved and black.
6. A massage! Good Gods, any kind of massage at all. I'd love a nice, amateur massage from an untrained friend just as much as a professional one. The massage therapist never gets massaged.
7. Stationery. How come you can find notecard sets at every convenience store but you can never find cute stationery? I mean sheets of paper with matching envelopes. I'd like some of that.
8. A Barnes and Nobel gift card (did you know that they are very blue, and have great business ethics?)
9. A messenger type of bag that can fit a laptop and a book or some papers (used would be great)
10. Encouragement over the next six weeks to study for the massage Certification! Seriously, nag me. Stop by to see if I've got books open. Offer to run me through some flashcards, instead of tempting me with an outing to a club. Or sit still and let me draw on you with markers while I locate your muscles and bony landmarks. I'll be eternally grateful.
That's my wish list. Please post one of your own! This is useless to me unless a bunch of you guys post things so that I can get my holiday jollies surprising you with little things you want. You see, I don't have time to make a bunch of presents for people this year like I had hoped to, and I can't afford to by gifts for each of the 40 or 50 people I'd put on my gift list if I could. So, please participate!
On a loosely related note, could I impose upon you to send me your contact information? I realized recently that I have emails for just about everyone, but I'm low on snail mail addresses, and most of your current phone numbers. So if you are reading this, even if you think I have your snail mail address, please take a moment to send it along to msfenriss at gmail dot com. I'd really appreciate it.
Merry whatnot, and all that!